Papa Yau's Chicken Fried Rice
Inspired by the rice Papa Yau made. This chewy, crispy, savoury fried rice is ready in 5 minutes. The secret to this great fried rice is freezing the seasoned oil, the toppings, and the rice separately, and combining them just before you're set to eat. The fun comes in customizing the rice how you like it: add an egg or top it with kimchi.
Rice, cooking wine, water, chicken (breast, skin), garlic scapes, soy, garlic, ginger, vegetable oil.
Cook from frozen, do not defrost.
Prep Time: 3-5 mins
- Heat up a non-stick pan on high heat.
- Cut flavoured oil (smaller pack) and squeeze into the pan. Heat until oil begins to smoke.
- Cut the rice pack open and pour it into the pan. Toss or move the rice around to coat evenly. Cook on high for 90 seconds, toss or mix half-way to fry all sides of the rice.
- Open the flavour pack (bigger pack) and push the rice to one side. Pour contents into the pan. Wait 15 seconds and begin to toss the pan and mix.
- When the rice is coated with the flavour mix and the soy is beginning to char on the rice (approximately 1 min), it's ready to eat.
It doesn’t need to end here. You can add a fried egg on top. You can add your own veggies like edamame, scallions, or bok choy. You can also take the rice and steam it. The oil and garnish can be sauted off together and used as a topping to give you a completely different dish.